1997 – 2004 CORVETTE C5 & Z06 (Automatic & Manual Transmissions)
NXT STEP PERFORMANCE recommends that an exhaust shop or professional after-market parts installer, who has all the necessary equipment, tools and experienced personnel needed for proper installation should perform the installation of this system.
Never work on a hot exhaust system. Serious injury in the form of burns can result if the vehicle has been in use and the exhaust system is hot, allow vehicle to cool for at least 1 hour. Always wear eye protection when working under any vehicle.
It is our recommendation that you use a hoist or hydraulic lift to facilitate the installation of your new NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust system taking all under car safety precautions. Once this has been done, you may begin the removal of your old exhaust system from your vehicle.
By installing your NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust system, you indicate that you have read this document and you agree with the terms. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to follow all installation instruction guidelines and safety procedures supplied with your NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust system. NXT STEP PERFORMANCE assumes no responsibility for damages occurring from misuse, abuse, improper installation, improper operation, lack of responsible care, or all previously stated reasons resulting from incompatibility with other manufacturer’s products and/or systems. If you should have any questions regarding our warranty policy, installation, or any other matter pertaining to your new NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust system, contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Use extreme caution during installation. Torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s torque values and tightening sequence. DO NOT use air impact tools to tighten fasteners on NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust systems. Use of such tools may result in bent flanges or gasket contact areas leading to exhaust leaks
1.Place each NXT STEP PERFORMANCE over axle and elbow pipe assembly into position with clamps (DO NOT tighten the clamps) then bolt onto the flange using the provided gaskets.
2. Place a clamp on the expanded end of the NXT STEP PERFORMANCE mufflers.
3. On automatic transmission equipped models, slide rubber muffler hangers on to the muffler brackets, now place the mufflers into position attaching them to the over axle/elbow pipe assemblies and bolt the rubber hangers back into position using the original bolts tightening them to 12-15 ft. lbs. of torque. On manual transmission equipped models you should be able to slide muffler hangers back into their rubber brackets and attach mufflers to over axle pipe assembly, DO NOT tighten the clamps.
4. Holding exhaust tips into proper position, tighten the clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs. and the flanges to 35-40 ft. lbs.
5. Check your exhaust system for proper clearance under the vehicle and also for tip alignment.
6. Horizontal adjustments can be made by loosening the flange connecting the over axle pipes to the exhaust. Vertical adjustments can be made by loosening the clamp securing the mufflers to the over axle and elbow pipe.
7. Once position has been determined to be correct, swing the anti-sway bar back into position reinstalling the original hardware previously removed. Torque the upper bolts to 45-49 ft. lbs. and the lower nuts to 65-70 ft. lbs.
8. Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
9. Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary (When you first start your vehicle after the installation of your new NXT STEP PERFORMANCE exhaust system, there may be some smoke and fumes coming from the system. This is a protective oil based coating used in the manufacturing of mandrel bent performance exhaust tubing. This is not a problem and will disappear within a very short period of time after the exhaust has reached normal operating temperatures).